A DAY TO BROOD

uff

I switch on the TV. I open a newspaper. I eavesdrop conversations in the street. Every time, there is talk of the same disease. People against people. People against Nature. Sometimes it’s a man against a woman. Sometimes it’s a woman against a child. Other times, it’s teenagers who prey on other teenagers. As if for these predators other people were guinea pigs to probe and zap and bury.

    Sometimes I wonder why there are so many people who enjoy hurting life. Nowadays when so much knowledge is available. When schools and the media and the goverments lay cultural resources at our feet. When we have so many opportunities to learn and become more than what we start with.

    I wonder. We can teach geography, maths, politics, biology. We can learn about the deep ocean, the far away space.

But can we teach how to have a soul? And can we learn how to see it in others?

No comments: